Honesty, Integrity, Empathy

Getting Legal Clarity For The Children’s Sake When Parents Are Not Together

If you and your spouse share at least one minor child and you will be getting a divorce or legal separation, then child custody and support orders will be part of your divorce decree. On the other hand, if you and the other parent are not married to each other, many situations will require pursuit of a court order that clarifies child custody and visitation as well as child support.

Working with an experienced, understanding family law attorney is essential as you seek to obtain or have input into a child custody and support order. This legal document will create obligations that you and your co-parent will operate under to serve the best interests of your child(ren). Turn to Streit Law for the empathetic guidance that you need.

What Your Child Custody And Parenting Time Order Should Address

Ideally, you and the other parent (your former partner or soon-to-be ex-spouse) can agree on a custody and visitation arrangement that will work well for your family. If you do not agree, a family court judge will impose a plan. The court order will spell out:

  • Which parent(s) will have physical custody
  • Which parent(s) will have legal custody
  • What your parenting time schedule will be and how it serves the best interests of your child(ren)
  • What amount of child support is appropriate and why

I will help you pursue an agreement or court order that will protect your parent-child bonds.  Your pursuit may involve any of the following:

  • Father’s rights
  • Mother’s rights
  • Grandparents’ rights
  • LGBTQ+ parents’ rights and respect for your child’s gender identity, if this is an issue

If your child’s other parent has a drug or alcohol addiction, a mental illness or a history of domestic abuse, you may need to petition the court to allow supervised parenting time only. I can help you discover and pursue the best path forward for your family situation.

Furthermore, I will assist you in understanding your child(ren)’s right to be appropriately financially supported and help you pursue a support scenario that works for them and for you.

In Support Of Your Children’s Best Interests

In all questions related to your child(ren), the family law court will insist on preserving the best interests of the child. If I represent you, then I will help you frame all negotiations or petitions in such a way that you are honoring that principle while also protecting your parent-child relationship.

Meet with me to learn more about child custody, parenting time and child support in Minnesota. Call me at 651-237-3815 or complete an online form to schedule a consultation.